Guelph is considered one of the first planned towns in Canada, designed specifically to attract settlers to it and the surrounding area in 1827. Nearly 20 years later, the town was reached by the Grand Trunk Railroad, connecting it to the, now, Greater Golden Horseshoe Area. At this time the town grew from a village to a city with many prominent buildings designed by Toronto-based architects, using local talent to use locally quarried limestone. This stonework can still be seen in older parts of the City today.
With the growth that we have seen across this region along Lake Ontario, we were pleased to open our Guelph office in October 2019. We have moved into the oldest industrial building in town - The Granary Building. Originally known as the Gooderham and Worts Granary, it was first built in 1858 as a frame structure for use as a grain depot by a Toronto-based distillery. In the mid-1990s a massive restoration effort was completed, extending the north and south roof lines, along with a new floor, to connect a number of individual structures into a single complex. The office overlooks the Guelph GO Station and is a short walk to City Hall and downtown.