In 2009, Dillon created an internal corporate environmental management program to monitor and reduce our GHG emissions and combat the advances of climate change. That program evolved into the Corporate Sustainability Strategy (CSS) that incorporates aspects of improving the social well-being of our employees and minimizing our environmental impact, along with sustainable growth. This year has marked the 10th anniversary of this very special program.
The vision of our CSS is to lead the industry in corporate sustainability and to actually fulfill that vision. In 2018 the CSS accomplished two major milestones:
- Remaining carbon neutral for ten consecutive years
- Donating over $1M to external community and environmental organizations!
Actions we have taken over the years include:
- Setting a company-wide GHG emission reduction target, based off of the 2015 Paris Climate Agreement
- Donate over 1.5% of our pre-tax profits to the Environmental and Community Investment Fund to support and improve our environmental, social, and community impact
- Actively purchase environmentally-friendly office products
- Developed THRIVE - a structured internal health and wellness program
- Educated employees about current issues affecting Indigenous people and the Truth and Reconciliation process in Canada
- Donated $70,000 to the Canadian Mental Health Association and raising mental health awareness across the company, in honour of Dillon’s 70th anniversary.
Dillon is committed to pushing the boundaries in corporate sustainability. We continue strategizing our business to achieve our GHG reduction targets, composting targets, and other targets. Dillon will be implementing a corporate social responsibility policy in our business operations and expand the impact of our CSS from local to global. We aim to commit to the United Nations Global Compact – the world’s largest corporate sustainability initiative aimed to align strategies and operations with universal principles on human rights, labour, environment, and anti-corruption – and align our CSS to advance the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals to achieve a more sustainable world by 2030.
For more information, please see Dillon’s FY18 Corporate Sustainability Report, here.