Commercial Properties Limited's Ordnance Building
in Saint John, New Brunswick, was recently recognized as a National Historic Site by Mr. Rodney Weston, Member of Parliament for Saint John, on behalf of the Honourable Leona Aglukkaq, Minister of the Environment and the Minister responsible for Parks Canada, and the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. Although once deemed surplus and left unwanted, the building was restored to high energy efficiency standards and is the first building of its kind to achieve Efficiency NB’s Prescriptive Path with the Start Smart program for commercial construction.
Built in 1842, the Ordnance Building at 274 Sydney Street was originally a British military depot for weapons and ammunition storage. It is the only surviving military building in Saint John. The building was recently restored by Commercial Properties Limited for commercial use and included a design to keep original doors and other reminders of it's past use. Dillon relocated the Saint John office to this building in 2010 and is one of the two tenants of the restored building.